Be a Super Teacher for Halloween, School Spirit Days, or just for fun! This DIY superhero costume is perfect for elementary teachers and teaching teams. Read on for 3 FREE Super Teacher patterns and tips for using iron-ons.
**In a hurry? You can find all the Super Teacher items in one click at the Teacher Halloween Costume list at the Super Teacher Amazon recommendations page.**
I discovered iron-on paper a few years ago while roaming around Target looking for a crafty activity to do during summer tutoring. Since this fateful day I’ve amassed a stack of iron-on paper, an account at an online specialty paper supplier, a lot of colored printer ink, and tons of make-it-yourself t-shirts.
Tips for Using Iron-Ons
1. I always purchase the paper made for darker fabrics. Even if you’re ironing on to a lighter colored fabric, this paper is more durable and you can usually print on it like you would any other sheet of paper (rather than having to do a “mirror image” print – blech!). This is the kind I bought the last time I ordered. (affiliate links)
2. Buying online is much more cost effective! I use coastalbusiness.com where I can buy in bulk. All the iron-on paper I save from these larger orders has always come in handy. If you just need a few, try Target or here at Amazon if you have time to wait for shipping. I order through Amazon Prime and it’s to my house in a flash!
3. Get a cheap iron or two to use in your classroom. Then you can have classroom volunteers do your ironing for large projects, and for smaller ones (like Super Teacher costumes) you won’t be totally annoyed if some of the stickiness stays on the iron. (It’s bound to happen!)
4. Instead of getting an ironing board for your classroom, cut up a few squares of cardboard, cover these in foil, and put these on top of classroom tables for all your ironing needs.
5. Read the directions carefully regarding peeling off the paper backing. If you don’t peel off the backing before ironing you will end up with an iron-on adhered, not to your tee, but to the paper backing. This is a serious bummer!
If you’re interested in using the same patterns I used to create our third grade teacher Halloween costumes, I have them available for free here. (Or you can click on the pic above). They come in the same colors you see in the picture at the top of this post- pink, blue, and green.
Need a different color than the pink, blue, and green included in the freebie? Check out the NEWEST Super Teacher Rainbow Pack which includes 24 different colors of super teacher patterns plus 8 different rainbow patterns.
There is also a set for just staff (secretaries, custodians, specialists, plus Super Teachers),
and just grade level teachers which includes patterns with grade levels preschool through high school. Hooray!
If you want super teacher patterns, super staff patterns, plus grade level patterns you can get these in the Super School Iron-on Mega Pack which is a bundle of all the packs listed above and includes EVERY iron-on pattern in the store!
Need a skirt, belt or cape to finish off the outfit? You can find all the Super Teacher items in one click at the Teacher Halloween Costume list at the Super Teacher Amazon recommendations page here.
Happy iron-on-ing Super Teacher!