Included in this pack:
13 Math Challenges
- Flyfest (Adding 1 and 2-digit numbers within 100, guess and check)
- Whale Whistles (Place value with 3-digits, adding multiple 1-digit numbers to 20, defining even, guess and check)
- Bookworm (Place value with 4-digits, adding multiple 1-digit numbers to 20, guess and check)
- Legs & Tails (Repeated addition/multiplication, guess and check)
- Ostrich Eggs (Mixed operations, defining a dozen, converting ounces to pounds)
- Parched Pachyderms (Capacity conversions, repeated addition/multiplication with 2-digit numbers)
- Going on Safari (Finding all possible combinations, organizing work)
- Feeding the Animals (Adding and subtracting money to $5.00, guess and check)
- Alligator Line Up (Defining one mile, converting feet to miles)
- Scrambled Eggs (Adding multiple 1 and 2-digit numbers, guess and check)
- Old Macdonald had Two Barns (Mixed operations with 1 and 2-digit numbers, dividing into equal groups)
- A Snail’s Pace (Converting days to hours, converting yards to feet, repeated addition/multiplication)
- Grain Stock Up (Converting ounces to pounds, repeated addition/multiplication)
All math challenges come with a lined page for written responses focused on strategies students used to solve the problem
- Name that Narwhal (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Animal Enclosures (Logical thinking, polygons, guess and check)
- Sea Legs (Adding 1 and 2-digit numbers to 50, finding all possible combinations)
- Barn Stalls (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding 1-digit numbers)
- Zoo Map #1 (Perimeter and area with models given, easier)
- Zoo Map #2 (Perimeter and area with length and width dimensions, more difficult)
- Animal Equations #1 (Addition and subtraction within 20, balancing equations)
- Animal Equations #2 (Addition and subtraction within 100, balancing equations)
- FARM Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- WILD Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- FOREST Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- OCEANS Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- CAT & MOUSE Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, most difficult)
- Student resource page with common conversions and extra info students might need to help solve these problems. Perfect to use for homework or centers.
- Answer keys for every problem
“Loved this!! I used these brainteasers to challenge my high-flyers in math as a warm-up and they truly loved them!” -Third Grade Shenanigans
“Kids were engaged because they love anything having to do with animals. Interesting facts. Good variety of reasoning activities.” -Mary C.
“These challenges are really great for helping my children to solve problems independently.” -Madison B.
“Great for extension activity” -Traci C.
Type of File: Secured PDF digital download
Total Pages: 70 pages
Answer Keys: Included for every problem
- Use this item for your own classroom and/or students.
- Make copies of anything in this product for use in your classroom by your students.
- Use this product in your own classroom year after year.
You may not:
- Give this item to others.
- Copy this item for use by others.
- Use any piece of this product to create a product, free or priced.
- Post, share, or save this product to any sort of digital site or server including, but not limited to, a personal, classroom, or district website.
If you create a login during your purchase, in addition to having a direct link to the product sent to your email, you will also be able to come back and download your purchase from this site. This is not required, but is highly recommended.
If you have any questions before purchase, feel free to email me at email@example.com or contact me through the contact forms here on the site. I would love to hear from you!
If you like this product, you might also like:
A YEAR of Math Challenges & Brainteasers Super Bundle
September Math Challenges & Brainteasers
October Math Challenges & Brainteasers
November Math Challenges & Brainteasers
December Math Challenges & Brainteasers
January Math Challenges & Brainteasers
February Math Challenges & Brainteasers
March Math Challenges & Brainteasers
April Math Challenges & Brainteasers
May Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Summer Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Camping Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Travel Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Wonka Math Challenges & Brainteasers
You can also purchase this product at Teachers Pay Teachers HERE.
Here are a few ideas for how you might use these challenges and brainteasers in your own classroom:
*Use these as extension activities for math contracts. Make a pack of challenge problems for advanced students to use as a fast finisher or during certain in-class math lessons when they’ve already mastered the material. You can read more about this strategy and receive a free editable math contract HERE.
*Use a challenge or brainteaser as a homework option for students who need a challenge, or let them replace a simple homework assignment with the challenge to show parents how well you’re differentiating.
*Use a math challenge or brainteaser as a “number talk” problem to start out your daily math class. Work through it as a class or let students work in partners or small groups to talk through it and solve it together.
*Give a challenge or brainteaser to a small group of students as one of their independent math workshop rotations or use them with your advanced small math group rotation.
*Use the problems as an independent practice activity during a unit on problem solving strategies (guess and check, work backwards, etc.) or attacking a multi-step problem.
*Keep a stack of challenge problems in your classroom fast finisher area for any student who wants a challenge.
*Choose one or two challenge problems for the month and reward any student who can solve both. You can put these on a bulletin board or have them available as additional incentives.
*Use the animal themed challenges as a way to integrate math with science or an animal themed read aloud.