Animal Themed Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Use these PRINT & GO and virtual animal themed math activities to challenge your high flying 2nd and 3rd grade students all year long.
These animal themed math problems are perfect for integrating math with life science, to use in an animal themed classroom, or to challenge your advanced students with a love for all things animals.
Want a closer look? You can download a preview of this product HERE.
The Animal Math Challenge & Brainteaser pack includes 26 NO PREP math printables + virtual math activities you can use for second and third grade math centers, homework worksheets, fast finishers, number talks, seasonal activities, math enrichment contracts, small groups, or whole class problem solving.
Animals facts & themes include: frogs, whales, worms, seahorses, crabs, ostriches, elephants, alligators, snails, chickens, narwhals, penguins, octopuses, safari, zoos, barns, wild animals, forest animals, and ocean animals.
Recommended as a challenge for grades 2-3
Included in this pack:
13 Math Challenges
- Flyfest (Adding 1 and 2-digit numbers within 100, guess and check)
- Whale Whistles (Place value with 3-digits, adding multiple 1-digit numbers to 20, defining even, guess and check)
- Bookworm (Place value with 4-digits, adding multiple 1-digit numbers to 20, guess and check)
- Legs & Tails (Repeated addition/multiplication, guess and check)
- Ostrich Eggs (Mixed operations, defining a dozen, converting ounces to pounds)
- Parched Pachyderms (Capacity conversions, repeated addition/multiplication with 2-digit numbers)
- Going on Safari (Finding all possible combinations, organizing work)
- Feeding the Animals (Adding and subtracting money to $5.00, guess and check)
- Alligator Line Up (Defining one mile, converting feet to miles)
- Scrambled Eggs (Adding multiple 1 and 2-digit numbers, guess and check)
- Old MacDonald had Two Barns (Mixed operations with 1 and 2-digit numbers, dividing into equal groups)
- A Snail’s Pace (Converting days to hours, converting yards to feet, repeated addition/multiplication)
- Grain Stock Up (Converting ounces to pounds, repeated addition/multiplication)
All math challenges come with a lined page for written responses focused on strategies students used to solve the problem
- Name that Narwhal (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Animal Enclosures (Logical thinking, polygons, guess and check)
- Sea Legs (Adding 1 and 2-digit numbers to 50, finding all possible combinations)
- Barn Stalls (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding 1-digit numbers)
- Zoo Map #1 (Perimeter and area with models given, easier)
- Zoo Map #2 (Perimeter and area with length and width dimensions, more difficult)
- Animal Equations #1 (Addition and subtraction within 20, balancing equations)
- Animal Equations #2 (Addition and subtraction within 100, balancing equations)
- FARM Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- WILD Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- FOREST Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- OCEANS Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- CAT & MOUSE Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, most difficult)
- Student resource page with common conversions and extra info students might need to help solve these problems.
- Link to an interactive Google Slides version
- Google Slides FAQ and tutorial videos
- Answer keys for every problem
“Loved this!! I used these brainteasers to challenge my high-flyers in math as a warm-up and they truly loved them!” -Third Grade Shenanigans
“Kids were engaged because they love anything having to do with animals. Interesting facts. Good variety of reasoning activities.” -Mary C.
“These challenges are really great for helping my children to solve problems independently.” -Madison B.
“Great for extension activity” -Traci C.
Type of File: Secured PDF digital download
Total Pages: 71 pages
Answer Keys: Included for every problem
Terms & Conditions
- Use this item for your own classroom and/or students.
- Make copies of anything in this product for use in your classroom by your students.
- Use this product in your own classroom year after year.
You may not:
- Give this item to others.
- Copy this item for use by others.
- Use any piece of this product to create a product, free or priced.
- Post, share, or save this product to any sort of digital site or server including, but not limited to, a personal, classroom, or district website.
All items in the Super Teacher store are digital product downloads. No items will be shipped to you. After your purchase you will receive an order confirmation email with an automatic download link for your digital product.
When you create a login during your purchase, in addition to having a direct link to the product sent to your email, you will also be able to download your purchase from this site.
Returns & Refunds
Because all products are digital files, and you will have immediate access to them after purchase, I cannot refund customers once a download link has been used. However, refunds will be given if you have purchased a product in error, or have purchased duplicates of a product. Please contact me by replying to your purchase confirmation email, or at the contact information below with any questions.
If you have any questions before purchase, feel free to email me at [email protected] or contact me through the contact forms here on the site. I would love to hear from you!
If you like this product, you might also like:
A YEAR of Math Challenges & Brainteasers Super Bundle
September Math Challenges & Brainteasers
October Math Challenges & Brainteasers
November Math Challenges & Brainteasers
December Math Challenges & Brainteasers
January Math Challenges & Brainteasers
February Math Challenges & Brainteasers
March Math Challenges & Brainteasers
April Math Challenges & Brainteasers
May Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Summer Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Camping Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Travel Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Wonka Math Challenges & Brainteasers
You can also purchase this product at Teachers Pay Teachers HERE.
There are no reviews yet.