Included in this pack:
13 Math Challenges
- Penguin Feast (Guess and check, organizing data, adding one and 2-digit numbers to 100)
- 2015 NFL Stats (Logical thinking, adding and subtracting 3-digit numbers)
- Record Snowfall (Place value with 4-digits, adding multiple 1-digit numbers)
- Snow Totals (Patterns, adding and subtracting with one-half from whole numbers)
- Hot Cocoa Combos (Combinations, organizing data)
- Highest Scoring Super Bowl (Guess and check, adding & subtracting 2-digit numbers)
- Super Bowl Blowout (Guess and check, adding & subtracting 2-digit numbers)
- Snowball Switch #1 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding multiple 1-digit numbers)
- Snowball Switch #2 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding multiple 1 and 2-digit numbers)
- Sledding #1 (Multiplying 2-digit numbers, easier)
- Sledding #2 (Multiplying 3 and 1-digit numbers, converting miles to feet, more difficult)
- New Year’s Party Plans (Elapsed time, logical thinking)
- Marching on Washington (Multiplying large numbers, multiplying with decimals, very difficult!)
All math challenges come with a lined page for written responses focused on strategies students used to solve the problem
- Polar Bear Picnic (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Yeti Yard Sale (Logical thinking, adding and subtracting money up to $10.00)
- New Year’s Equations (Mixed operations, writing equations totaling 1-100)
- Snow Days (Logical thinking, calendar math) 2 versions included (fill-in-calendar/create-a-calendar)
- Snowball Sums #1 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding 2-digit numbers less than 20, easier)
- Snowball Sums #2 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding 1 and 2-digit numbers, more difficult)
- Super Bowl Balancing #1 (Addition and subtraction to 20, balancing equations, easier)
- Super Bowl Balancing #2 (Addition and subtraction to 100, balancing equations, difficult)
- SNOW Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- 2019 Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- WINTER Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- FROZEN Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- SNOWFLAKE Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, most difficult)
- Student resource page with common conversions and extra info students might need to help solve these problems. Perfect to use for homework or centers.
- Answer keys for every problem
“I had originally intended this to be a resource for my more advanced math students. However, others caught onto the “secret,” and now this has become the go-to activity for early morning arrivals. I love it when my students love a challenge!” -Angela L.
“Great for my gifted kids who always want more!” -Mary B.
“Consistently some of my favorite products!!!” -Caitlin C.
“These are great enrichment opportunities.” -Michelle L.
Type of File: Secured PDF digital download
Total Pages: 73 pages
Answer Keys: Included for every problem
- Use this item for your own classroom and/or students.
- Make copies of anything in this product for use in your classroom by your students.
- Use this product in your own classroom year after year.
You may not:
- Give this item to others.
- Copy this item for use by others.
- Use any piece of this product to create a product, free or priced.
- Post, share, or save this product to any sort of digital site or server including, but not limited to, a personal, classroom, or district website.
If you create a login during your purchase, in addition to having a direct link to the product sent to your email, you will also be able to come back and download your purchase from this site. This is not required, but is highly recommended.
If you have any questions before purchase, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through the contact forms here on the site. I would love to hear from you!
If you like this product, you might also like:
A YEAR of Math Challenges & Brainteasers Super Bundle
September Math Challenges & Brainteasers
October Math Challenges & Brainteasers
November Math Challenges & Brainteasers
December Math Challenges & Brainteasers
February Math Challenges & Brainteasers
March Math Challenges & Brainteasers
April Math Challenges & Brainteasers
May Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Summer Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Animal Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Camping Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Travel Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Wonka Math Challenges & Brainteasers
You can also purchase this product at Teachers Pay Teachers HERE.
Here are a few ideas for how you might use these challenges and brainteasers in your own classroom:
*Use these as extension activities for math contracts. Make a pack of challenge problems for advanced students to use as a fast finisher or during certain in-class math lessons when they’ve already mastered the material. You can read more about this strategy and receive a free editable math contract HERE.
*Use a challenge or brainteaser as a homework option for students who need a challenge, or let them replace a simple homework assignment with the challenge to show parents how well you’re differentiating.
*Use a math challenge or brainteaser as a “number talk” problem to start out your daily math class. Work through it as a class or let students work in partners or small groups to talk through it and solve it together.
*Give a challenge or brainteaser to a small group of students as one of their independent math workshop rotations or use them with your advanced small math group rotation.
*Use the problems as an independent practice activity during a unit on problem solving strategies (guess and check, work backwards, etc.) or attacking a multi-step problem.
*Keep a stack of challenge problems in your classroom fast finisher area for any student who wants a challenge.
*Choose one or two challenge problems for the month and reward any student who can solve both. You can put these on a bulletin board or have them available as additional incentives.