Winter Math Challenges and Brainteasers
Use these New Year’s and winter math problems to challenge your high flying 2nd and 3rd grade students with advanced math problem solving FUN during the new year.
Now includes printable + Google Slides Versions.
These January math challenges & brainteasers have engaging New Year’s and winter holiday themes students love, and are a perfect way to extend and enrich your advanced second and third grade mathematicians’ learning!
Want a closer look? You can download a preview of this product HERE
The Winter Math Challenge and Brainteaser Pack includes 26 NO PREP printable + virtual math activities you can use for second and third grade math centers, homework worksheets, fast finishers, number talks, New Year’s activities, Zoom meetings, math enrichment contracts, small groups, or whole class problem solving.
January themes include: New Year’s, penguins, sledding, football, Martin Luther King, yeti, polar bears, and snow
Included in this pack:
13 Math Challenges
- Penguin Feast (Guess and check, organizing data, adding one and 2-digit numbers to 100)
- 2015 NFL Stats (Logical thinking, adding and subtracting 3-digit numbers)
- Record Snowfall (Place value with 4-digits, adding multiple 1-digit numbers)
- Snow Totals (Patterns, adding and subtracting with one-half from whole numbers)
- Hot Cocoa Combos (Combinations, organizing data)
- Highest Scoring Super Bowl (Guess and check, adding & subtracting 2-digit numbers)
- Super Bowl Blowout (Guess and check, adding & subtracting 2-digit numbers)
- Snowball Switch #1 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding multiple 1-digit numbers)
- Snowball Switch #2 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding multiple 1 and 2-digit numbers)
- Sledding #1 (Multiplying 2-digit numbers, easier)
- Sledding #2 (Multiplying 3 and 1-digit numbers, converting miles to feet, more difficult)
- New Year’s Party Plans (Elapsed time, logical thinking)
- Marching on Washington (Multiplying large numbers, multiplying with decimals, very difficult!)
All math challenges come with a lined page for written responses focused on strategies students used to solve the problem
- Polar Bear Picnic (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Yeti Yard Sale (Logical thinking, adding and subtracting money up to $10.00)
- New Year’s Equations (Mixed operations, writing equations totaling 1-100)
- Snow Days (Logical thinking, calendar math) 2 versions included (fill-in-calendar/create-a-calendar)
- Snowball Sums #1 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding 2-digit numbers less than 20, easier)
- Snowball Sums #2 (Logical thinking, guess and check, adding 1 and 2-digit numbers, more difficult)
- Super Bowl Balancing #1 (Addition and subtraction to 20, balancing equations, easier)
- Super Bowl Balancing #2 (Addition and subtraction to 100, balancing equations, difficult)
- SNOW Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- JAN 1st Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- WINTER Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- FROZEN Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- SNOWFLAKE Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, most difficult)
- Student resource page with common conversions and extra info students might need to help solve these problems.
- Link to an interactive Google Slides version
- Google Slides FAQ and tutorial videos
- Answer keys for every problem
“I had originally intended this to be a resource for my more advanced math students. However, others caught onto the “secret,” and now this has become the go-to activity for early morning arrivals. I love it when my students love a challenge!” -Angela L.
“Great for my gifted kids who always want more!” -Mary B.
“Great use of problem solving and extra activities for those kiddos who enjoy a challenge.
High interest with winter theme.” -Sara B.
“Great resource to get the kids WRITING about the strategies they used to solve!” -Mom2Boys
“Consistently some of my favorite products!!!” -Caitlin C.
“These are great enrichment opportunities.” -Michelle L.
Type of File: Secured PDF digital download
Total Pages: 75 pages
Answer Keys: Included for every problem
Terms & Conditions
- Use this item for your own classroom and/or students.
- Make copies of anything in this product for use in your classroom by your students.
- Use this product in your own classroom year after year.
You may not:
- Give this item to others.
- Copy this item for use by others.
- Use any piece of this product to create a product, free or priced.
- Post, share, or save this product to any sort of digital site or server including, but not limited to, a personal, classroom, or district website.
All items in the Super Teacher store are digital product downloads. No items will be shipped to you. After your purchase you will receive an order confirmation email with an automatic download link for your digital product.
When you create a login during your purchase, in addition to having a direct link to the product sent to your email, you will also be able to download your purchase from this site.
Returns & Refunds
Because all products are digital files, and you will have immediate access to them after purchase, I cannot refund customers once a download link has been used. However, refunds will be given if you have purchased a product in error, or have purchased duplicates of a product. Please contact me by replying to your purchase confirmation email, or at the contact information below with any questions.
If you have any questions before purchase, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through the contact forms here on the site. I would love to hear from you!
If you like this product, you might also like:
A YEAR of Math Challenges & Brainteasers Super Bundle
September Math Challenges & Brainteasers
October Math Challenges & Brainteasers
November Math Challenges & Brainteasers
December Math Challenges & Brainteasers
February Math Challenges & Brainteasers
March Math Challenges & Brainteasers
April Math Challenges & Brainteasers
May Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Summer Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Animal Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Camping Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Travel Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Wonka Math Challenges & Brainteasers
You can also purchase this product at Teachers Pay Teachers HERE.