Included in this pack:
13 Math Challenges
- Candy Count (Adding two-digit numbers within 100, logical thinking)
- Hotel Haunting (Place value, adding multiple 1-digit numbers, logical thinking)
- Bats in the Belfry (Repeated addition or multiplication with 2-digit numbers)
- Dem Bones (Repeated addition or multiplication with 2 and 3-digit numbers)
- Clue Combinations (Finding all possible combinations)
- Seed Scooping (Capacity conversions with cups, pints, and quarts)
- Haunted House (Repeated addition/multiplication, converting minutes to hours and minutes)
- Candy Cost (Adding and subtracting money within $10.00, logical thinking)
- I Vant to Bob for Apples (Adding 1 and 2-digit numbers within 30, guess and check)
- Caramel Apples (Fractional parts of a whole, logical thinking)
- Monster Mash (Elapsed time, logical thinking)
- Halloween Parade (Mixed operations, converting seconds to minutes)
- The Leaves They are a-Changin’ (Determining total from fractional parts of a group)
All math challenges come with a lined page for written responses focused on strategies students used to solve the problem
- Which Witch is Which? (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Candy Bowls (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Ghosts in the Graveyard (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Costume Kids (Logical thinking, guess and check)
- Hooo am I? #1 (Place value, logical thinking, adding multiple 2-digit numbers, easier)
- Hooo am I? #2 (Place value, logical thinking, adding multiple 3-digit numbers, more difficult)
- Spooky Sentences #1 (Addition and subtraction within 20, balancing equations)
- Spooky Sentences #2 (Addition and subtraction within 100, balancing equations)
- CATS Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- BATS Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, easier)
- ZOMBIE Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- GHOULS Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, more difficult)
- CARVE IT UP Logic Puzzle (Logical thinking, guess and check, most difficult)
- Student resource page with common conversions and extra info students might need to help solve these problems. Perfect to use for homework or centers.
- Answer keys for every problem
Type of File: Secured PDF digital download
Total Pages: 68 pages
Answer Keys: Included for every problem
- Use this item for your own classroom and/or students.
- Make copies of anything in this product for use in your classroom by your students.
- Use this product in your own classroom year after year.
You may not:
- Give this item to others.
- Copy this item for use by others.
- Use any piece of this product to create a product, free or priced.
- Post, share, or save this product to any sort of digital site or server including, but not limited to, a personal, classroom, or district website.
If you create a login during your purchase, in addition to having a direct link to the product sent to your email, you will also be able to come back and download your purchase from this site. This is not required, but is highly recommended.
If you have any questions before purchase, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or contact me through the contact forms here on the site. I would love to hear from you!
If you like this product, you might also like:
A YEAR of Math Challenges & Brainteasers Super Bundle
September Math Challenges & Brainteasers
November Math Challenges & Brainteasers
December Math Challenges & Brainteasers
January Math Challenges & Brainteasers
February Math Challenges & Brainteasers
March Math Challenges & Brainteasers
April Math Challenges & Brainteasers
May Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Summer Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Animal Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Camping Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Travel Math Challenges & Brainteasers
Wonka Math Challenges & Brainteasers
You can also purchase this product at Teachers Pay Teachers HERE.
Here are a few ideas for how you might use these challenges and brainteasers in your own classroom:
*Use these as extension activities for math contracts. Make a pack of challenge problems for advanced students to use as a fast finisher or during certain in-class math lessons when they’ve already mastered the material. You can read more about this strategy and receive a free editable math contract HERE.
*Use a challenge or brainteaser as a homework option for students who need a challenge, or let them replace a simple homework assignment with the challenge to show parents how well you’re differentiating.
*Use a math challenge or brainteaser as a “number talk” problem to start out your daily math class. Work through it as a class or let students work in partners or small groups to talk through it and solve it together.
*Give a challenge or brainteaser to a small group of students as one of their independent math workshop rotations or use them with your advanced small math group rotation.
*Use the problems as an independent practice activity during a unit on problem solving strategies (guess and check, work backwards, etc.) or attacking a multi-step problem.
*Keep a stack of challenge problems in your classroom fast finisher area for any student who wants a challenge.
*Choose one or two challenge problems for the month and reward any student who can solve both. You can put these on a bulletin board or have them available as additional incentives.
*Use the holiday themed challenges as a choice activity during a holiday party or to keep your sanity during that holiday down time.